Selfhelp Big Six Towers NORC Program
Selfhelp Big Six Towers NORC Program is a supportive service program for Big Six cooperators aged 60 years and older. NORC stands for Naturally Occurring Retirement Community, which means that a significant percentage of people residing in Big Six are over the age of 60. Many of these seniors moved in when they were younger and have “aged in place.”
NORC Mission Statement
Selfhelp NORC programs are dedicated to maintaining seniors in their homes and community by providing a continuum of social services, health and wellness, educational, recreational, intergenerational programs, as well as volunteer opportunities in collaboration with our community partners.
NORC Offers a Range of Valuable Services:
- Professional Social Workers on staff provide all social services. This includes case management and case assistance services, assistance with quality of life issues, information and referral, advocacy, supportive counseling, and assistance in applying for entitlements and benefits.
- Health and nursing services consist of nurses on site, health screenings, flu shots, health and education lectures, exercise classes, subsidized housekeeping, home health aide services, subsidized grab bars, and memory assistive devices.
- Education and recreation programs include discussion groups, games, knitting and crafts, coffee house, lectures, parties, and intergenerational programs.
- Volunteer opportunities include office and clerical functions, fundraising, advisory council participation, event planning, lecturing, group-leading, and recreational instructing.
- Transportation program provides bus trips to supermarkets, banks, shopping malls, theaters, luncheons, and cultural places of interest, and reduced fare transportation to medical appointments.
- Technology is centered on the needs of seniors and includes computer classes, sensor technology, such as Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS), assistive devices, cognitive stimulation programs, and telehealth medicine.
Call or come by the office to say hello. We look forward to meeting you!